Bandstand on Courthouse Square
Music always has played a big role in the lives of people in Glen Rose. From its early days the town abounded with bands, but the players didn’t have a shelter beneath which to give open-air concerts. Then in 1933 the county gave the town band permission to erect this eight-sided masonry bandstand. This was during the depths of the Great Depression. Despite economic problems, the band members and their fellow citizens enjoyed music so much that they scraped together enough money to erect this structure. They built it from concrete, wooden timbers, decorative local petrified wood, and even the fossil footprint from a three-toed therapod dinosaur that in ancient times abounded in the area. Step inside and enjoy the shade. Then take a moment to read the marble plaques that the builders set into the concrete back during the truly hard times in 1933.